[ngg_images source=”galleries” container_ids=”7″ display_type=”photocrati-nextgen_basic_imagebrowser” ajax_pagination=”1″ order_by=”sortorder” order_direction=”ASC” returns=”included” maximum_entity_count=”500″]
An autonomous car (driverless car, self-driving car, robotic car) is a vehicle that is capable of sensing its environment and navigating without human input.
Autonomous cars can detect their surroundings using a variety of techniques such as radar, lidar, GPS, odometry and computer vision. Advanced control systems interpret sensory information to identify appropriate navigation paths, as well as obstacles and relevant signage.
The autonomous vehicle, driverless or self-driving car will be one of the greatest technological developments of the next decade.
Need of Driverless car
- Driver error is the most common cause of traffic accidents.
- India contributes 6 % of the world’s road accident deaths.
- Cell phones in-car ,entertainment systems, more traffic and more complicated road systems making it more frequent
- By this improving technology our car will do the concentrating for us.
Control of Vehicle
- As automotive technology matures, more and more functions of the underlying engine, gearbox etc. are no longer directly controlled by the driver by mechanical means.
- It is controlled via a computer, which receives instructions from the driver as inputs and delivers the desired effect by means of electronic throttle control.
- Therefore, the technology for a computer to control all aspects of a vehicle is well understood.